How to Make Money on YouTube in 2024
With over 2.5 billion monthly logged-in users, YouTube presents a major opportunity for creators to build an audience and generate income. But how exactly can you go from filming videos in your living room to earning a full-time income on the platform?
The main answer lies in YouTube’s monetization program. Once your channel hits certain milestones for subscribers and watch time, you can turn on money-making features that let viewers support you financially.
In this complete guide, we’ll walk through everything involved in making money on YouTube, from understanding platform rules to optimizing earnings. Read on to learn how to turn your creative passion into a thriving business!
YouTube Partner Program Requirements
Joining the YouTube Partner Program isn’t as simple as flipping a switch. Their team manually reviews each channel to ensure content adheres to platform guidelines around copyright, advertiser friendliness, and more.
Here are the key eligibility requirements as of 2024:
- Generate over 1,000 subscribers on your YouTube channel
- Earn at least 4,000 valid public watch hours over the last 12 months
Alternatively, channels can also qualify if they:
- Have over 1,000 subscribers
- Earn at least 10 million valid Shorts views over the last 90 days
Besides subscriber and viewership milestones, your account must:
- Be in good standing without any active Community Guideline strikes
- Enable two-factor authentication for enhanced security
- Have access to YouTube Studio Content Manager features
- Live in a country where YPP is available
YouTube Studio provides real-time tracking on eligibility requirements. Once fully qualified, you can apply to the program directly through your creator dashboard.
Maximizing Your YouTube Channel Earnings
Focus on making search-friendly content centered around popular topics in your niche. Appealing thumbnails and titles help get YouTube recommending videos more widely.
Interact heartily with your community in the comments too. The more loyal subscribers you convert, the more revenue sources.
It helps to enable multiple monetization sources beyond just AdSense. Offer channel memberships to paying fans who want a closer channel look. Those income streams add up while keeping fans happy.
Optimizing videos for maximum watch time should be the ultimate goal. YouTube shares their ad profits in proportion to minutes viewed on your channel versus platform-wide totals.
Carefully track analytics to determine what content resonates best with your audience. Give viewers more of that while staying consistent with uploads.
What If My YouTube Partner Program Application Gets Denied?
Since YouTube checks channels so thoroughly, some creators may not get accepted on their initial attempt. Reasons for YPP rejection typically include:
- Copyright Violations – Ensure you have licensing rights before using copyrighted content.
- Reused Content – Too much compilation or reactionary content without enough original value added.
- Spam Behavior – Buying fake subscribers and excessive keyword stuffing raises flags.
- Controversial Content – YouTube aims to keep brands comfortable advertising. Some topics don’t make the cut.
If you receive a rejection email, don’t panic! There are still options:
- Appeal The Decision – Provide additional channel context if YouTube misjudged components like commentary value, licensing or intent.
- Make Eligibility Improvements – Check if there were technical qualification issues at the time of review.
- Remove Any Violations – Review flagged videos and remove unauthorized, promotional or controversial content.
You can reapply 30 days after a rejection, or 90 days after multiple rejections. Use that time to carefully refine your channel direction within YouTube’s guidelines.
Besides the built-in monetization features offered within the YouTube Partner Program, many popular creators make money through secondary income streams as their channel grows.
Additional ways to make money
Brand sponsorships and affiliate partnerships present huge opportunities to earn an income outside of AdSense and fan contributions.
As you build an engaged subscriber base in a specific niche, relevant brands will take notice. Some may offer one-time payments to feature or review products in certain videos.
Higher-tier brands typically want channel integration over multiple videos as an ongoing sponsorship deal. The key is finding win-win partnerships that provide value for your target audience rather than just blatant promotions.
Affiliate links also reward creators for driving new customers without much additional work. First, apply to affiliate programs related to products your viewers may want. Once approved, you can include special links in video descriptions with unique tracking codes. You then earn commissions when viewers make purchases after clicking from your videos.
With thousands or even millions of viewers seeing your content, those referral kickbacks quickly compound into serious earnings each month!
Start Building Your Channel Today!
YouTube presents a tremendous platform to inform, inspire and entertain target viewers around the globe. And with the Partner Program, creators racking up views can tap into multiple income streams.
But increasing competition means the barriers won’t get easier down the road.
NOW is the time to start your channel, as long as you’re committed to quality, consistent content centered around a specific niche. Even without millions of subscribers, you can steadily compound earnings from loyal fans over time.
So what creative skills could you leverage to capture audience attention? The opportunity is yours for the taking, if you stick to the YouTube rulebook. Financial fruits are sure to follow through monetization!